Monday, May 26, 2014

Weirder than fantasy

Life is weird. People are even weirder. Forget about absurd fantasy--real life has enough wackiness to fill an encyclopedia! After recent events at my job, I'm seriously considering opening up a "strange people" journal and adding a bit to it each time a member of the weird society walks in through the doors of my school.

Take last week, for example. In the same afternoon, I was greeted by these two people (with barely a breather in between visits).


Case #1

Young woman: Hello. I'd like to enroll in the First Exam. [This is an English language exam for foreign speakers.]
Me: Sure. Here's the enrolment sheet.
Young woman: *filling in sheet* *hesitates*
Me: Yes?
Young woman: What does 'date of birth' mean? The day I was born, or my birthday?
Me: ...
[Cue a drawn-out pause.]
Me: But... Weren't you born on your birthday?
Young woman: *giant smile* Hey! I don't know! Well, I'll just write some year in here.

Did I wander into the Twilight zone?

Case #2

Woman: *as she walks in* If I give you this memory stick can you print out these Social Security papers I need?
Me: I'm sorry, but this is a school.
Woman: Oh... *looks around* But you have a printer!
Me: *facepalm*


Just another regular day at work! If I ever get writer's block, I'll know where to search for ideas.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Marta! No...never bored! I barely ever get a moment to breathe!

      Delete
  2. Here's some absurdity for you. Granted, this was at a quick-service donut and coffee shop, but still.
    To set the scene: it's 9:30am on a Friday. The front counter has a line to the door, mostly octogenarians. A young woman is in the line on her cell phone, speaking loud enough for everyone else to hear. A lull in the general hubbub allows this precious gem to become public knowledge,
    "Gurrrrrrl, you know when that test came back positive I dumped his a$$."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Tara! That is quite a gem. I can imagine the looks the other people must have given her.

      Delete
  3. Real life IS weird. Passing the popcorn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...