Monday, October 14, 2013

Review: Hildie at the Ghost Shore by Paula Cappa

Today I have the pleasure of reviewing the short story Hildie at the Ghost Shore by Paula Cappa. This short was previously published in the magazine Fiction365, and now you can download it for free in your preferred format from Smashwords.

Cappa combines magical storytelling with historical and supernatural elements to show you the story of rune-reader Hildie as she reads the fortune of a mysterious visitor.

The tale of Hildie at the Ghost Shore is revealed to readers at a leisurely pace, laced with evocative descriptions of the heroine's surroundings. While the start is somewhat slow for a 2,000-word story, it allows you to feel the magic surrounding Hildie and her little corner overlooking the Ghost Shore.

The most positive aspects of the short are the writing itself (completely error-free, something I truly value), and the author's knack for drawing the reader in to a world of Norse mythology. The ending is also thought-provoking and I would definitely like to see the story continue from there.

The main thing I missed here was a bit more action throughout. As I mentioned above, the pace is leisurely, and while I am more drawn to action and high-risk scenes, the slowness of Hildie at the Ghost Shore lets you feel the characters and, most of all, the setting. After reading, I feel it is probably the best way to tell this story, as Cappa gently takes you by the hand and draws you in to her imagination.

Overall, I would give Hildie at the Ghost shore a 3.5 over 5. While not precisely my cup of tea, I can still admire Cappa's storytelling capabilities. I would recommend this story to anyone interested in Norse mythology, runes, and, as the story's description states, "quiet little mysteries." While reading, it somehow reminded me of Edgar Allan Poe's A Descent into the Maelstrom.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nadine,
    I just saw this review on your site. Your review is lovely. I don't see any contact info for you here or on Goodreads. I'd like to post a few lines of this review on my Amazon page for Hildie at the Ghost Shore in the Editorial Reviews window. Can you contact me at pcappa9@gmail.com? Much appreciated.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...